A vacation can change everything, don’t you think? We just got back from nearly a week visiting John’s family. We also ran a half marathon in Providence, RI. Even though the trip was jam packed with activity, it was very relaxing and really allowed us to decompress after a very stressful month taking care of Wingnut, preparing for my triathlon, dealing with losing one income, and keeping up with life in general.
Now that we’re home again, and our next race isn’t for three whole months (yay for relaxation), we’re starting to return to our experimental ways in the kitchen. We’re also trying to do a little detoxing. While we were on vacation, we had taralli (an Italian peppery ‘cookie’ or cracker), cannoli, pasta, fried seafood, a lobster roll, a Fenway Frank (a hot dog), pizza, arancini, more than our fair share of chicken wings, and some delicious BBQ. Luckily we did a lot of walking, otherwise we’d have come home with more than a race medal and race shirt. We’d have come home with a few extra pounds as well. However, we’re both feeling a little tired, a little sluggish, and a little unhealthy. So for the next couple of weeks, we’re going to try to eat primarily fruits, vegetables, and lean protein for at least 80-90% of our diet. We’re trying to minimize bread and sugar (other than naturally occurring sugar in fruits and veggies), limit our cheese consumption, and throttle back on the calories a bit.
Tonight’s dinner was perfect for a little detoxing. I took some inspiration from The Flavor Bible and our Tonnemaker’s CSA box. I wanted something fresh, raw, and colorful. As an added bonus, it was also delicious.
- 2 ears of sweet corn, kernels removed
- 6-8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 pint blueberries
- 1 Tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 leaves of basil, cut into thin strips
- Salt to taste
- In a medium bowl, mix the corn kernels, the cherry tomatoes, and the blueberries.
- Add the sherry vinegar and olive oil and salt to taste.
- Garnish with the basil strips.
- Sweet Corn with Haricots Verts There comes a time in everyone’s life when they realize...
- Roasted Corn and Blueberry Salad Once sweet corn comes into season, there is one go-to...
- Asparagus Salad with Balsamic Vinegar and Hazelnuts It’s finally asparagus season! When the email came from the...
- Spring Pea and Fennel Salad Along with work, training for half marathons and triathlons, taking...