I’ve been on an eggplant kick lately. I suppose it helps that I’ve finally found a cookbook that has eggplant recipes that sound delicious. Phaidon’s The Silver Spoon has changed my mind where eggplant is concerned and I cannot wait to see what other dishes I can make. But for now, I’m sticking with eggplant. Note: If you dislike eggplant, and worry a bit about the abundance of eggplant recipes on this site lately, rest assured… there will be several non-eggplant recipes next week!
Today’s recipe came about because I was flipping through the cookbook on a Saturday and realized we just happened to have all of the ingredients for the recipe. We hadn’t planned it, but when fate shows itself that way, you just have to go along. This is a simple recipe to prepare, takes only a few minutes of effort, and presents dramatically.
- 4 small eggplants
- Olive oil for brushing
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, seeded and thinly sliced
- 9 oz smoked Provolone or smoked Mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 sprig parsley, minced
- 4 basil leaves, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Slice off the eggplant stems, and cut the eggplants lengthwise, without cutting through the base of the eggplant. You’re trying to create a fan shape with the eggplant.
- Brush a baking dish with olive oil.
- Place the sliced eggplants in the prepared dish.
- Between each of the eggplant slices, place a slice of cheese and a slice of tomato.
- Combine the garlic, parsley, and basil in a bowl and sprinkle over the eggplants.
- Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Serve, spooning some of the cooking juices over the eggplants.
- Eggplant Terrine We love the library. Because we can’t afford to indulge...
- Wild Mushrooms Roasted in Parchment We recently came into a copy of Tender, Tamara...
- Corn, Tomato, and Blueberry Salad with Basil A vacation can change everything, don’t you think? We just...
- Tortino di Fiori di Zucca Ripieni (Stuffed Zucchini Blossom Tart) I have a confession to make. I am forever tinkering...