White Bean and Kale Stuffed Delicata Squash

by Patricia Eddy on October 20, 2009

White Bean and Kale Stuffed Delicata Squash

White Bean and Kale Stuffed Delicata Squash

Ah, autumn. How I love you with your fires in the fireplace, your scarves, your hot tea in the afternoons, and your assortment of squashes. Yes, squashes. I love squash. Well, I love winter squash. I’m still not too keen on the summer squash variety, but I’m working on it.

Today though, we’re talking about winter squash. Specifically, the delicata variety. Delicata squashes are instantly recognizable by their pale yellow skin and green striations. The taste is somewhere is mild, and like most winter squash, it is a bit sweet. Delicata squash is full of potassium, iron, Vitamins A and C.

Our go-to method of cooking delicata squash is just to slice it, remove the seeds, and brush with melted butter and a bit of brown sugar before roasting. This autumn though, we want to branch out. There were several mentions of stuffing delicata squash on Twitter last week so we went in search of a stuffed squash recipe. As luck would have it, we found one that called for all of the ingredients we had on hand! How could we refuse?

The original recipe is vegetarian and with a slight bit of adaptation, you could even make this dish vegan. You can get fresh white beans from Alm Hill Gardens or Alvarez Farms. Alm Hill’s beans are fresh, which means they don’t need soaking before cooking. It also means they only last about a week in the fridge. Alvarez’s beans are dried, so soak them overnight before cooking. To cook your beans, just place them in a pot of water and boil for 15-20 minutes or until tender.

White Bean and Kale Stuffed Delicata Squash, adapted from Eggs on Sunday

• 2 medium Delicata squash

Stuffed Delicata in Profile

Stuffed Delicata in Profile

• Salt and pepper
  • Lightly flavored oil of your choice
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 10 oz white beans, cooked
  • 1 bunch of kale, destemmed and torn into chunks
  • 1 Tbsp sage leaves, minced
  • 4 Tbsp breadcrumbs
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

Prepare the Squash

1. Preheat the oven to 350.
  2. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
  3. Brush your oil over the insides of the squash and season with salt and pepper.
  4. Bake in the oven until just tender (make sure they aren’t so soft they are falling apart).

During the last 15 minutes of cooking, assemble the filling.

1. In a large saute pan, heat the oil over medium heat.
  2. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
  3. Turn the heat up to medium-high and add the kale.
  4. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
  5. Turn the heat back down to medium and add the white beans and sage.
  6. Season with salt and pepper and set aside until the squash is done.

Stuff the squash

1. Remove the squash from the oven.
  2. Fill with the kale and white bean mixture.
  3. Mix the Parmesan and bread crumbs together and top the stuffed squash with the mixture.
  4. Bake for another 10 minutes, or until the Parmesan is melted and the stuffing is heated through.
  5. Serve and enjoy.

Pretty and healthy too

Pretty and healthy too

Notes: Wow. This was fantastic. You can eat the skin of delicata squash, so the entire dish is edible. Plus, the squash to filling ratio of this dish is perfection. This is a vegetarian dish, and can even be adapted to be vegan if you leave out the Parmesan cheese or substitute for a vegan cheese.

However, you can also take a step in the opposite direction (vegans, stop reading now) and cube some pancetta or guanciale, cook it for 10 minutes on low heat to render the fat and cook the meat, and then use that oil to cook your filling. Not only do you get the porky goodness of the Pancetta or guanciale, but you get the succulent pork fat as flavoring for the kale and beans. We chose this method and it was perfection in a dish.

Share this page via Email Share this page via Stumble Upon Share this page via Facebook Share this page via Twitter
Print Friendly

Related posts:

{ 15 comments }

Pam October 21, 2009 at 4:00 am

Darn, I had all of these ingredients last week! Let’s hope my CSA comes through again, because this sounds wonderful!
.-= Pam´s last blog ..Grilled Steak Salad with Grilled Vegetables =-.

Melanie October 21, 2009 at 5:36 am

Huh, didn’t know the skin of the delicata was edible. I always learn something from your blog. Thanks!

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen October 21, 2009 at 6:57 am

I love this!!!! I am like you, I LOVE autumn (for all the reasons you listed) and I adore winter squash (and am not too keen on the summer varieties…)!!! This looks like a perfect combination. I am so making it!
.-= Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen´s last blog ..Holy Smoky Pile O’ Ribs! =-.

Nate October 21, 2009 at 7:41 am

Me, I’m leaning in the direction of porky products. Beans and kale practically scream for it, IMO.
.-= Nate´s last blog ..Microwaved Cabbage and Carrot, a Bachelor’s Tale =-.

Patricia Eddy October 21, 2009 at 9:51 am

Melanie: You can eat the skin of just about every squash (pumpkin is a bit too tough in my opinion). Much like potatoes, there are a lot of nutrients in the skin.

Jenn: I love this dish so much I’m planning on making it every other week this fall. I’ll keep experimenting with different additives and variations.

Nate: I agree that the pork products are fabulous in this dish. You don’t need a lot for a fabulous amount of flavor.
.-= Patricia Eddy´s last blog ..White Bean and Kale Stuffed Delicata Squash =-.

chocolate shavings October 21, 2009 at 10:58 am

What a great way to use kale! this looks delicious.

Melodie October 21, 2009 at 7:05 pm

Thank you for a wonderful supper. I got to use up some white beans I had stumped as to how to use, and of course my delicata squash from my CSA box that I assumed would sit there over the winter. (people in my house don’t really love squash too much). Anyway, the kale (I used chard from my garden) and the sage made the whole dish. Thanks for a great recipe!
.-= Melodie´s last blog ..Bravado Breastfeeding Information Council ~ A Survey for All Moms =-.

Bean November 1, 2009 at 9:59 pm

Kale and delicata is one of my favorite combinations. I never thought of adding beans and I would definitely add the pancetta!

amy November 1, 2009 at 10:01 pm

Will this work with spaghetti squash too? If so, are they about the same size (i.e. should I use two medium)?

Thanks!!! Enjoying the blog, as always. :)
.-= amy´s last blog ..Meet Green Lake firefighters at the fire station 16 open house =-.

Patricia Eddy November 1, 2009 at 10:04 pm

Hmmm… spaghetti squash are definitely bigger, so you should use one spaghetti squash for every 2 delicata.

Will it work? Yes. But the texture will be a lot different. I’d be interested to hear how it works though. The spaghetti squash doesn’t have as sweet of a flavor, so I’d say you might want to spice the filling up a bit. Use a stronger cheese, add some hot peppers or more spices. I also tend to find the skin of a spaghetti squash tougher to eat, so I’m not sure if I’d eat it after cooking.

You could always vary the recipe though. Cook the spaghetti squash, scrape out the insides, then mix with the filling and bake in a casserole dish for 15 minutes or so.

amy November 1, 2009 at 10:41 pm

Great suggestions, Patricia! Thanks! I’ll give it a try and let you know how it goes.

Yvette November 12, 2009 at 1:42 pm

we just got delicata squash in our box this week and I am SO making this…

Diana @ frontyardfoodie February 18, 2011 at 6:17 pm

YUM! I always have kale and beans around so now all I need to do is pick up some squash and I’m set!

Hollis Zimmer November 18, 2011 at 5:12 pm

I found this recipe after we received a delicata squash in our box from Farm Fresh to You. I had always thought this was one of those “decorative” squash that you thought looked really pretty but would never really eat. WRONG. Let me say that I am not a huge fan of either kale OR white beans but we decided to make this recipe in an attempt to eat our vegetables. It was absolutely fantastic! I gobbled the whole thing up skin and all. I have now passed this recipe around so many times I should probably send you some money. I have now bought more of these delicious delicatas and plan on adding this dish to our thanksgiving dinner. Wonderful! Thank you!

Patricia Eddy November 18, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Wow! Thanks Hollis! I’m so glad you like the recipe. It’s one of my favorites.

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 6 trackbacks }